Sweet Potato Nutella Pie
Nutella Swirled Sweet Potato Pie
Servings 8 slices
• 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust or easy 1,2,3 pastry (at bottom of recipe)
• 500g sweet potato
• 1/2 cup butter softened
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup evaporated milk
• 2 eggs
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1/4 tsp ginger
• 1/4 tsp cloves
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup Nutella warmed
1. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40-50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato and remove the skin.
2. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter and mix well with your mixer. Beat in brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, flour, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, warm Nutella for about 30 seconds and stir. Drop spoonsful of the Nutella over the pie and then using a butter knife, gently swirl the Nutella in a figure eight motion. Don’t over swirl.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. The pie will puff up like a scuffle and then sink down as it cools.
5. Allow to cool for 2 hours before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
1,2,3 dough for biscuit base
• 100g Castor sugar
• 200g butter
• 300g flour
Place butter in food processer and beat for 20 second on high.
Stop the food processor and at the castor sugar and the flour.
At this stage you could become bold and add flavours to the base such as all spice, nutmeg, lemon rind or a touch of sneaky RUM.
Then blend for a further 10 seconds (do not over work the dough, it must still look volume)
Then remove the biscuit base and roll out on a floured surface. Make the rolled-out dough large enough to cover the pie tin and hang over the edge.
Place this into the freezer and when frozen remove the tin and blind bake at 180C till golden brown (this will bake faster owing to the sugar content
Bake and enjoy! .